ATTENTION: News Desk / Assignment Editors

MEDIA HOTLINE: 801-550-0121

INCIDENT TYPE: Gas leak/Hazardous Material Incident

LOCATION: 234 S. 200 E.

Salt Lake City Fire Department responded to a natural gas leak on Friday, Jan. 26, around 11 a.m. at 234 S. 200 East, Downtown.

Several businesses evacuated due to the strong odor. The small leak, possibly caused during a construction project, was on a a two-inch service line. No injuries were reported.

SLC Fire crews and SLC Police closed Edison Street, and diverted traffic between State Street and 100 South and Broadway, for much of mid-day. The entire incident was cleared around 1: 15 p.m.

According to on-scene Battalion Chief Brady George, the natural gas readings were safe. However, the smell was very obvious, and firefighters wanted to take every precaution to ensure safety for businesses and their employees.

CAUSE: Construction Tear Out

FIREFIGHTERS RESPONDED: 24

RESPONSE TIME: five minutes, roads open and all cleared in about 1 hour 45 minutes

INJURIES: None